Monday, July 28, 2008

Simple Eating

Today I cooked some whole wheat elbow noodles, added butter, pinto beans and cheese for the kids and then thought - hey I have a beautiful homemade salsa in the fridge and some leftover feta... after a little taste test I stirred up a big bowl - it was a DELICIOUS concoction. I wish I had more imagination sometimes instead of relying out of habit on recipes for inspiration. Simple eating often turns out to be the most healthful and rewarding. It occurs to me that our forefathers ate very simply and were much healthier than we are. It also occured to me that we all may be eating that way again if our economy/world status continues to decline at this rate.

Homemade Salsa Recipe (the addictive type)
Sorry about the lack of precision measurements - I just add things until I like the flavor - here's how my process goes:

FRESH SALSA:
Fresh ripe tomatoes (maybe 6-8) cut them in sections and squish out the seeds with your fingers Fresh garlic (maybe half of a large head) - peeled
1 medium onion
Fresh green chilis (seeded)
Fresh jalepenos (seeded)
Parsley - a handful (you can substitute all or some with Cilantro if you like)
Apple Cider Vinegar (to taste - I put about 2 Tablespoons)
Salt/Pepper to taste
Organic Tomato Sauce (to taste) I used 2 small cans at the end to round out the flavors

Put as many vegetables as you can in the food processor and go till finely chopped - dump it in a big bowl and repeat until all are chopped (I chop mine finely - adjust as you like).

The veggies will be very juicy in the bowl - add salt, pepper and vinegar to taste then add tomato sauce if you need to round out the flavor.

As a variation - when you're ready to eat this with chips - add a little sour cream in your individual bowls and stir - addictive.

It freezes great.

No comments: