Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Green Smoothie Experiment

A friend shared some great information about Green Smoothies per "Green Smoothie Girl" on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXr8-jru1KE Having small kids who are picky eaters can be so stressful. You want them to eat more fruits and veggies but its hard for adults to get enough much less kids. I also have an elderly father-in-law who has few teeth left and has trouble chewing anything substantial.

I bought my spinach and fruit and prepared for disappointment. This morning I started out with the goal of getting my kids to give it a chance - so I cheated a little. Here is what I put in the blender: 2 bananas, about 1 cup of strawberries, 1/2 C frozen organic blueberries, 2 handfuls of organic spinach, about 1/2 C organic rice milk (to get it moving in the blender) and 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream... yes I did.
Results: I really liked it, after some hesitation my 5 year old daughter tried it and liked it - our 3 year old picky eater refused to try it but later came in hot from outside and picked it up absent mindedly. Apparently it was a hit because he then carried it around with him sipping for a long time. I'm encouraged!! Wow, what a great relief to know I'll be able to get our greens in so easily each day. I'll post more results as we try new things. Of course the goal is to eliminate the ice cream and increase the greens to fruit ratios slowly as our mentally ill tastebuds adapt.
Hoping to plant a small fall garden with different types of super greens - will let you know how it goes. Apparently a fall garden in Southern Oklahoma can be put in between late August through September depending on the plants. A quick search online produced a very thorough list of plants/dates for my area.
Have a great day and try the smoothies - you'll be suprised!

No comments: