Sunday, February 22, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

This 25 things list is a trend going around on Facebook - you share it with 25 people who you want to get to know better. I normally don't participate in chain type things but I've really enjoyed learning more about people who've sent me their lists. I thought since I took the time to write it I'd post it here also. Have a great week - Jennifer

1. I don't like retracing steps or taking unneccessary steps if at all avoidable (I love strategy which I believe is related).

2. One area of faith I sometimes worry will be tested is having my kids suffer and being unable to do anything to help them. Thankfully God has helped me with this and other anxieties that crop up from time to time.

3. After answering my calling from God the next most incredible blessing I've received is a better understanding of what it means to be a wife in the way that God intends. That answer arrived partly in the form of a book called "Created to be His Helpmeet" by Debbie Pearl (given to me by my sister not long after I had started praying for understanding). I've learned that becoming a Godly wife is a life long commitment and continual growth process requiring God's help - strikingly similar in a lot of respects to our spiritual growth process.

4. I often feel frustrated when I can't focus my full attention on a project - such as trying to finish a 25 things list while a little boy stands behind me putting hair in my face and wanting me to play a game :) I have come a long way though in the patience and multi-tasking department since having children...

5. I have a tendency to write too much because I don't want to be misunderstood... anyone reading this list or who has email communications with me may already realize this :)

6. I tend to be lacking in the chit chat department. I like to have time to gather my thoughts on a given subject and I also spend a lot of energy observing and processing information. I'd much prefer to write than speak my personal thoughts - but when it comes to business for whatever reason this is not the case at all... I am much more outgoing and confident in a business setting than a social one.

7. I miss my husband very much since he started commuting 2 hours to Dallas a few weeks ago for work - we went from having him work from home every day - to this.

8. I really enjoy baking.

9. The first time I met my husband (at barely 18) we joked about what we would one day name our kids, we have now been married for 11 1/2 years and he is the man I hoped for as a little girl plus more.

10. I sometimes have a hard time asking personal questions of people... for fear that they will think I'm prying or judging. This makes it difficult to really get to know people but I am getting bolder by the year! The ones who I consider my dearest friends have been persistent and open - I'm so grateful for them!

11. I am very loyal and commited to friends and loved ones when it counts but I sometimes lack the ability to tell people how I feel about them, I have been working on this for a few years.

12. Every year that has gone by since my baptism I find certain things more and more abrasive - gossip is near the top of the list, song lyrics, romance movies that paint relationships as fairytale situations which do not exist in real life. (I could and maybe will write about this in my blog - frankly, I think this is one more tool Satan uses to prevent contentedness in marriage)

13. I'm not easily offended and almost always give people the benefit of the doubt. I have however, been offended before and I've learned that forgiveness is not always a one time thing - it can sometimes keep cropping up requiring continued prayer for help (especially when the offending person is slow to change). In praying for God to help me forgive someone once for a serious and hurtful offense - I was shown that I had said something about someone that didn't seem a big deal at all to me at the time. I realized then that unless there is a good and fruitful purpose in talking about someone - then there's no excuse for talking about them at all - even about seemingly minor things.

14. I'm learning that honoring our parents is not a commandment just for kids living at home. It can actually be much more difficult as an adult to honor our parents. I think this has deep meaning for us as our parents age and we are put in the position of covering their shortcomings and/or providing them with a dignified last stage in their lives. Its something I've been learning and growing in with God's help for the last few years (in a boot camp sort of way).

15. I have a "utilitarian" personality... according to an extensive evaluation as part of an effort by a software company to understand their employees. This means I'm a nuts and bolts kind of person, no frills really. I don't enjoy spending time or money on something fleeting like a pedicure or luxury hotel but I do enjoy owning quality items that will last (but not at full price these days!). Money has never been a very effective motivator for me but satisfaction from achievement has always been.

16. I became successful in business at a very early age. I've traveled to most major cities in our country and some in Canada, mostly for business. I see myself one day returning to some form of professional position that will not interfere with those things that I've come to believe are the most important in life.

17. I am making strides to clear out the bad stuff from my family's diet. I used to be good at this but have fallen off the wagon the last couple of years... living far away from any decent grocery stores have almost gotten me down - but I am back on the wagon! More raw food and juice! (at the time of publication my child is consuming a chicken strip from chicken express...sigh)

18. I love playing competitive sports. Playing volleyball with our adult teams for church has brought out that old competitive fire again - its been so much fun getting to know people on a different level! Next year I hope to play basketball as well.

19. I have no idea where we will be living in 6 months and I'm trying to be relaxed about that.

20. I don't let myself get down about world affairs because I know that God has a plan and certain things have to play out before His Kingdom will come. When I start to feel anxious about things to come I ask God for relief and He always provides it. He's proven through trials that He won't leave our sides during difficult times - I find a lot of comfort in hope in this.

21. I love Piano - tinkered on my grandpa's piano for many childhood years and took lessons briefly as a teenager. I hope to one day learn enough to play for enjoyment. I'm picking up bits from my daughter's piano classes.

22. I prefer symetry and soothing colors.

23. I enjoy houseplants and landscaping but dislike washing dishes and ironing...

24. I am happiest and most successful when I can set my own goals and paths to achieve them.

25. I would love to have more time to write and to one day find a professional outlet for it.

No comments: